Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Spotlight on Jane Theis


Who?  Jane Theis

Jane, in her own words...



I have wanted to be an artist forever, but always worried that I just couldn't do it. I tried to console myself with the thought that if I had lessons, I could possibly fulfill my dream. Of course, all these plans changed when my precious daughter appeared! Fast forward about twenty years and I was right back where I started, but with a new attitude! I decided to skip the formal training and just give it a try..... 
 
Now I know why I always wanted to do this... It brings me more joy than I ever imagined possible. Painting is renewing faith in myself..... when someone refers to me as an artist, I still pause for a second and then smile... wow they are talking about me!



What medium do you prefer and why?
  

I love the "body" of acrylic... It gives me the ability to achieve great textures. 
Sometimes I will paint over a painting 2-4 times... Now that's some serious texture! 
 
What inspires you to create your art ?
 
The mere thought of painting inspires me... I am energized with each new endeavor.. I love the monthly themed shows at the SAL, for they present ever changing, inspirational challenges... 
 
Starting a new painting is like starting a new  book... The beginning draws you in, then you are motivated to progress through the middle, and by the time you are nearing the end, you either speed up the process because you are rapidly anticipating the ending, or you slow things down because you aren't quite ready for it to be over just yet. 
 
I don't take myself too seriously, so I don't worry about everything being just perfect in my art... would be pretty impossible anyway! Unless there is a specific project, I just pick up the brush and see where it takes me... 

 

To see more work by Jane, please stop by the Strawbridge Art League and Gallery at 819-2 East Strawbridge Avenue, Melbourne, Florida