Monday, November 14, 2016

Spotlight on Kelli Coats

 
Shadowy Blue Sea Turtle

 Who?  Kelli Coats: Bio

 For as long as I can remember, I would draw, for hours on end. I would draw everyday genres that appealed to me at that young age. Throughout middle and high school, I took every Art elective possible. After high school, I earned my AA in Art from Eastern Florida State College (then known as Brevard Community College). Nancy Dillen was my college instructor and her teachings left a lasting impression with me throughout my life. Despite my then desire and intention on becoming an artist, I settled for a daily career and my artistic endeavors took a back seat.


It was about 6 years ago that I earned my MA in Art Education and began teaching ceramics at a local high school. Teaching ceramics reignited my passion for creating art. In doing so, I finally found the courage to call myself an artist. I also created online pages (Etsy, Facebook and Pinterest, etc.) to sell my artwork. In this rediscovery, I also joined the Strawbridge Art League, where my art is also on display.  

What medium do you prefer and why?

I currently prefer clay as my medium. This is likely due to my teaching it as a subject matter with the materials are readily available. Drawing (graphite) is also my medium of preference, when time permits.

 What inspires or motivates you to create your art and what does your art mean to you?

Overall, it is an intrinsic desire that inspires me to create. However, my students are also a source of inspiration – teaching often provides a reciprocal exchange of energy that is contagious in the creative realm of living. My fellow art teachers and art league friends are also inspiring – through their encouragement and ideas and art talk I have found the courage to create art I enjoy creating.


To me, my art means I am in alignment with my creative passions. My creative interest has primarily existed within the spooky or Gothic genre, yet I changed course and fell into production art for the hope and sake of selling it. I have since struck a happy medium and have placed my own artistic desires in the forefront. This makes me a much happier artist! 

What makes your art unique?

I think my art is unique because I create spooky art year round – not just at Halloween. I sometimes, I try to reveal the allure of dark art with unexpected subject matter. For example, my hand sculpted ceramic sea turtles - I utilize a black glaze under a sheer color overlay) giving them a shadowy appearance.  
See No Evil
 Be sure to stop by the Strawbridge Art League and Gallery at 819-2 East Strawbridge Avenue, Melbourne, Florida to see more of Kelli's work.